12.24.2023

i didn't realize 
what i lost 
when i lost it 

christmas parties
and birthday cake  
prime rib
too many sides 
shrimp cocktail
and always 
too much pinot grigio 
but more cookies 

red wine lips 
buttered avoidance 
shaky embarrassment
& pseudo-catch-ups 

and the worst 
the ultimate 
~the toast~ 

a little lady 
who used to make me tuna melts 
and bring me orange juice ginger ales 
when i was feeling sick sad 

she was it 
the one 
i could always sit next to 

who would listen to my time-consuming nonsense
who would give me someone to talk to 
the appearance i was busy 
but in demand 
someone worth talking to 
listening to 

greasy clean-ups 
with sloppy lips 
and half-opened eyes 

somethings to talk about 

it was all awful 
but what's worse
is 
wondering 
why my heart aches
now that it's all gone 

No comments:

Post a Comment